summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, October 12, 2012

A Mourning Dove Saved...




 

from the jaws of Cricket.

 

The day was sunny and warm.  The doors of the house were open, screening providing fresh air to flow into the house.

 

I was cooking dinner in the kitchen when I heard a cat’s loud ‘MEOW’.

 

Of course, I was obligated to investigate. 

 

Cricket sat by the back deck door, large bird in mouth; but, still able to create a rather boisterous, repetitive caterwauling.  On closer observation, I noticed the captive mourning dove blink an eye.  I much prefer my Mourning Doves cooing lined across the top board of the wooden fence  or rambling on the ground under the bird feeder for its share of free food.

 

I scooped Cricket up in my hands.  She held tight to her treasure.  I gently shook the ball of fur trying to coax Cricket to open her mouth.  Within seconds, I saw a flash of bird quickly fly off into a safe direction.  Soft, grey feathers floated to the deck from Cricket’s lips. Cricket looked at me with total disregard.

 

Fortunately, I was around this time to save a bird in need; but, next time?
 
My Sugar Maple exhibiting today's 2012 autumn color change - amount of color changes daily
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment