summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, October 8, 2012

Adventures With Ann - Part Two - Bold Rock


 
 

The day was one of absolute autumn splendor, as last Friday’s escapade got a later-than-planned start because Ann did not get home from the RomneyRyan Rally, the day before, until after midnight. 

 

However, two days in a row, leaving from my house (traveling north) was definitely a first for us. 

 

Ann drove again; which, initially, was fine with me.  She has the superior, more comfortable car.  But, within minutes of driving to our destination, up and over a timbered mountain on a narrow curvy road,  my chronic  motion sickness suddenly struck…I was sick.  I popped a mint in my mouth, took a short fresh air break, got back in the car, rolled the window down to catch the cool mountain breeze and we were off…again.  I tried to remain motionless as my eyeballs strained left and right to catch glimpses of the swaying leaves sporting the commencement to their change of color.  We were surrounded by a multitude of autumn hues!

 

First stop…lunch in the Nellysford/Wintergreen area of the Blue Ridge Mountains.   Food does help my motion sickness, but I downed a Dramamine that I found in my purse for extra relief.  Our waiter was a young, very attentive man.  He handed us our menus and asked if we were ready to order.  We had not yet cracked open the menus.  Halfway through our meal, he asked if we wanted boxes; we were still eating. I said he was funny.  Ann said he was new.  

 

Just minutes down the road, we arrived at one of our destinations for the day, Bold Rock cidery.

 

We were warmly greeted in the tasting area and enjoyed their two main samples, Virginia Apple and Virginia Draft, of hard cider. We also sampled a brand new product, yet to be advertised, Crimson Ridge. The first bottling was just completed.  Ann bought a case. 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




 
 
After a quick tour of the facilities, Ann treated us to a cold bottle of Virginia Apple, apple cider with a buzz (alcoholic content).  We wandered to a quiet deck shaded from the late afternoon sun by table umbrellas.  We sat and talked and sipped; very tasty and very refreshing.   Lazy… enjoyable…contentment. 




 
We had intended to stop next at a trail and take a leisurely walk; but, time was fleeting and Ann wanted to buy apples.  We passed my favorite orchard (see 11-28-11 blog - Stocking Up On Apples from the Flippen-Seaman Orchard) on the way to Nellysford,   so we backtracked and arrived at the orchard store just minutes before closing.  The apples are huge this year.  Even though I was still harvesting off my own apple trees, I thought I better take this opportunity to purchase a half- bushel of these beauties.  I have to admit that my apples look like they belonged in the ‘reject’ bin in comparison, but they are flavorful despite their unattractiveness.

 

Unfortunately, we drove that same curvy road back home; actually, that road was the only option. And, again, my motion sickness returned.  I kept my head stiff, my eyes looking straight, and made it home without incident. (Those who suffer from motion sickness know what I mean)

 

The day’s activities ended with Ann and I convoying with Glenn, each on our own 4-wheeler, down to the lower pasture to check the flerd.  The cool evening air helped my nausea, but I did not regain normalcy until late the next day.


 

 I certainly spent a wonderful two days with my special friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment