summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Fairfield Condors


Today was the final game of the 2012 Rockbridge Area Recreation Association soccer season for the Condors; the 8-10 years old team that my daughter Becky coached.


parents in waiting...for the game to begin
 
Glenn and I finally attended a game; this game.  With all my whoopin’ and hollerin’, I am sure daughter Becky was pleased that I attended only one game.  I cannot help it…I get excited, I see good technique, I see bad technique…I let my emotions be known; quite vocally.



pregame warm-ups

 The parents of the players were unaware of my affiliation with the game until Becky turned to me and yelled, ‘MOM…BE QUIET.’  At that moment, I was displeased with an opposing player inching (rather feeting) himself nearer the Condor goal for a throw in.  I was justified.  Becky did not think so. After following Becky with her youth soccer through her high school varsity career, I am glad to know that I have not lost my enthusiasm.

 

The Condors played quite well.  For a novice team, I could see a lot of future potential as one player actually looked for a team mate before passing rather than kicking hard to an open down field, another player going after the ball rather than waiting for it to come to her, and kicks that were smartly directed.  Of course, there was the usual daydreaming in the area of the field that was seeing little action. 

 

The game was tense as one quarter after another ticked off with no goal from either team.  With about one minute left in the fourth, an aggressive Condor girl dribbled the ball all the way to the goal and took a successful shot. GOAL!  Within the remaining seconds, the opposing team had possession and drove to their goal having a split -second opportunity to tie the game.  Fortunately, for the Condors, that shot on goal went wide.  The Ref’s whistle blew.  The Condors won their final game of the season. 


proud coach
 
The Condors record was quite impressive:   4 wins, 1 tie, and 2 losses. The losses being the first two games and the wins being the last four games…now, that is impressive improvement.

the WINNING Condors

 What an amazing way to end a season of fun and hard work!

 

And, as in true fashion of many sports…the coach got the 'water poured over the head' act of appreciation; several times, in fact.
 



 
Becky is a fabulous coach, as she is a fabulous daughter, farmer, waitress…anything that she sets her mind and muscle on.

 

It’s a good thing Becky does not take after her Mom.

 

Kudos Becky!

No comments:

Post a Comment