summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Again...


This morning I woke to the constant and joyous singing of a cardinal.

 

I did not see the cardinal, but it is one bird I can identify by all its vocal communication whether it is by song or by call.

 

The singing went on for at least one hour.  I made an out loud statement, “He thinks it is spring.”  All my yard birds get very chatting when spring arrives.

 

I also identified a yellow-bellied sapsucker hammering at my sugar maple.  Gathering sap and insects already?  Well, maybe spring has arrived.

 

Today, the air temperatures rose into the 60’s.  Spring-like to be sure. 

 



Unfortunately, tomorrow’s forecast is alerting to yet another winter storm.  Upwards of 10” is possible.  Our snow piles just melted from our last arctic blast!

 

Two weeks ago, I promised a neighbor that we would plow out his drive the next time it snows.  He laughed and added, “Hopefully, we are finished with snow this season.”  I guess not.

 

That cardinal…he was probably happy not because it was getting on into spring, but because another winter storm was approaching.  After all, the cardinal is a snow bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment