summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Another Escape a.k.a. Another Round-up


Monday was a cool day.  But, after chasing rogue chickens twice, I warmed up quickly.

 

Becky bought 50 pullets about one week ago with nowhere to put them on her farm.  She needs to build a new portable and movable chicken pen to move around her pastures for them. Last year’s pen is just too small for these 50.

 



So, the chickens came to Mountain Glen to take up residence inside the pole barn.  Sheep and lambs have been relegated to the barn lot.  The pullets were fine until Becky decided to open the door to the outside pen.  These pullets are fliers and they can easily clear the fence that keeps cows, calves, sheep, lambs, and horse in.

 

Buddy loved to watch the escaped pullets peck around the barn lot from the outside of the fence.  Not so for Sammy.  He crawled right under the gate into the lot and began chasing the red-feathered fowl.  The pullets would run frantically flapping their wings.  Sammy was close behind in the hunt. 

 

I have no idea how long the fun games were being played, but once I noticed, I quickly ran out of the house flapping my arms in fret to rescue the pullets.  Sammy held several in his mouth (not at the same time) until I was able to grab them and put them back inside their pen.  This ordeal not only occurred once, but twice during the course of the afternoon.  Like I said, I warmed up quickly...twice.

 

Yesterday,  the pullets stayed inside the barn.  Not because of their antics but because they do not like to walk on snow.

 










You read that right…we have had another day, all day, of snow.  Will this madness ever end?

 

My dainty purple crocuses are now in hiding or crushed under the frozen precipitation.

 

I was expecting the more seasonal spring showers by now.  I want to see my spring flowers.

 

Perhaps… next week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment