summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

More Baby Birds


This time the babies are northern Mockingbirds.

 

And, their nest is just feet from the main door to our house…the door we use constantly, the door we are always going in and out, and the door where the dogs hangout and nap.

 

Why would these mockingbirds build their nest so close to our activity?  I guess I would have to ask them? Unfortunately, I do not speak ‘mockingbird’.

 

Anyways, I always look out the window when I go into the upstairs bathroom.  The view of the yard is splendid from that location.  About two weeks ago, I noticed two adult mockingbirds fly into our small, flowering dogwood tree.  Immediately, I investigated further and discovered the nest.  It is difficult to see because of the lovely shade and protection provided by lush leaves.  I had no idea that the nest existed until the mockingbirds gave away their secret.  Since then, I have been watching the nesting site on a daily basis. 


Look closely...you can see mama mockingbird sitting on the nest

getting food


anxiously waiting for food


patiently waiting for food


finally...food has arrived


The nest is crudely fashioned from twigs and sits smack dab in the middle of the dogwood tree which I planted years ago.  The tree has been plagued with boring-type bugs off and on over the past several years, so its growth has been challenged.  That little dogwood is finally looking healthy and is finally starting to put on more growth.  Now, it seems to be large enough to support a bird nursery.

 

During the ‘sitting’ stage, the mockingbirds would scoot out from the branches and quickly fly away from their station every time we opened the door or walked by the nest. The birds left often. Fortunately, they always returned to the task of getting their eggs to hatch.

 

Even though the nest is situated mere inches from where we frequently pass, the best view is from that upstairs bathroom window.  I can look down through a small opening in the foliage and see directly into the nest.  Using binoculars brings the action into detailed focus.

 

A couple of days ago, I spied the babies.  First, I thought there were two, until a parent returned with food and three bright orange beaks burst open. 

 

Today, the wind is gusting and that little tree is swaying a lot.  Hold tight babies!

 

Now, I worry about our dogs and cats.  So far, they are unaware of the new family in their neighborhood. But, if a baby falls from the nest, well….

 

We just won’t go there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment