summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Never Say Never


 
Yesterday, Matt wanted to go canoeing.  Glenn, a big boater in days past, was all in.  And, somehow I got added to the mix.  I have not been canoeing for years, decades.  In reality, I did not think I would ever go canoeing again. Never. Whitewater canoeing is one of many activities that scare me.  But, I always felt somewhat safe with Glenn in the stern due to his expert experience.  He always got us through any whitewater rapids without the canoe flipping.  That, in itself, is huge.

 

After a few morning chores, we prepared.  The guys got the boats (one canoe, one kayak), the paddles, the life vests and their personal gear ready.  I fetched the towels, sunscreen, bottles of water and my personal stuff…hat, boating glasses (eye glasses that I would not care about if lost - the pair I took is over 40 years old - remember I am a packrat, rarely throwing anything out), boating shoes (old running shoes that would eventually be wet and muddy), swimsuit (finding an old one in my closet), shorts, t-shirt, jeans.  And, an extra dose of courage.

 

Off we went with Glenn driving the truck with the boats securely tied in the back and Matt and I following in my car.

 

Glenn selected a section of the James River.  The put-in was in the town of Glasgow and the take-out was about 5 miles downstream just before the dam at Snowden.  The last time I ran this section of river was exactly 30 years ago. We recently moved to Virginia.  I was pregnant with Matthew. So, thirty years ago I took Matt down the river.  And, yesterday, Matt took me down the river. 

 

The put-in was a dirt pull-off.  Then, a somewhat arduous walk (especially for a pregnant lady) down a narrow dirt path flanked by woods was made.  The canoe and gear had to be carried quite a distance.  I struggled with the weight of our burden. Finally, a steep incline down to the water had to be maneuvered. The first rapid encountered, which was extremely hairy, was just one minute into the trip.  I was scared the entire time.  Glenn has no memory of this trip. 

 

Now, the parking area is enlarged, graveled and roped off.  The path has been widened and graveled and it is much shorter distance to the actual put-in. Steps lead to the water’s edge.  And, Matthew did my part of the carrying…whew! 

 

The boats were unloaded.  Glenn and Matthew drove to the take-out to drop off the truck. I watched the boats waiting for their return.  As the time ticked, my anxiety grew.

 

When Matt and Glenn returned, I was informed that Matt would be in the canoe with me.  Matt!  By no means does Matt have the boating experience that Glenn has.  What about the rapids?  Would we make it safely through?  Would we flip?  Would I survive?  I tried to stay calm and confident.  After all, what was the worst that could happen?  We would flip and swim.  Actually, my thoughts went more to my foot getting stuck in a rock crevice below the water and drowning. Or, my head hitting a rock and rendering me unconscious. I knew I had to stay in the boat!

 

So, what happened?  As you can see, I did not drown.

 

Matt and I managed the canoe.  Not as smooth as with Glenn, but we did well.  We worked together.  We never flipped. My anxiety went away and I really enjoyed the trip.  We took a short break at Jump Rock.  Matt made several jumps off this high rock into a deep pool below.  I took a swim which meant fighting the river current and watching out for the boulders hidden below in the water.  Glenn played in

the adjacent rapids in his kayak. The water was so refreshing and relaxing. Yes, relaxing.

 

I moved out of my comfort zone for a day and returned to an activity I thought was only a part of my past.  I almost felt like I was 29 again. Well, almost!

 

A very successful and fun-filled river trip, no doubt!

 

Canoeing?  What a great idea.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment