summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Got the Tree...Christmas Tree, That Is


Today, Glenn and I went out and cut down our Christmas tree.

 

We are not as late as many years, but we are not as early as others either in pursuit of this annual tradition.

 


We, I mean Glenn, cut down a white pine, our usual species of choice, at the very local farm, Ridge Road Ranch.

 

We drive past this Christmas tree farm often throughout the year as it is located only about 1.5 miles down the road from Becky’s farm.
 
 
 


The business is small and family-run located in the northern part of beautiful and picturesque Rockbridge County in the gorgeous Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.  OK, OK…I am a bit biased.  Mountain and farm  views can be had in all directions. This is a wonderful place to saunter about with family and friends looking for that perfect Christmas tree.  A sunny and pleasant day, as today, was an added bonus.
 

tool of the trade - tree netting device
 
Several species of tree are available: white pine, Scotch pine, concolor fir, and Canaan fir.

 

Next year, I am already eyeing one of those concolors…soft needles, full round branches, a bit rotund - kind of like how I picked out all our puppies in our life - the softest and tubbiest of the litter.  I guess I stick with a formula that seems to works well for choosing puppies and trees both...go figure.

 




mid-sized needles and oh, so soft
 














 
 
The tree is still outside, standing in a bucket of water, waiting for its grand entrance.

 

I just need to dust and vacuum the living room first.  That task is on my schedule for tomorrow, but then I think I have mentioned, a few times the very least, that I hate to clean.

 

But, this time I have an incentive...to get that tree decorated in lights; to hang the vintage, family and friends ornaments; to be surrounded, inside, with the aroma of a pine forest; and to sit back, reminisce and enjoy!

 

Haven’t got your tree yet?  You still have plenty of time to partake of this holiday pleasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment