summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, December 29, 2014

St. Mary's Wilderness


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Last Friday afternoon, son Matthew, home on holiday leave, and I went on a hike in the nearby U.S. Forest Service St. Mary’s Wilderness. The afternoon was a perfect spring-like, warm and sunny, December day. A snowless and balmy Christmas/winter season is OK by me.

 








most of the trail was narrow and rocky
The St. Mary’s Wilderness Trail is not strenuous but very rough and rocky due to repeated flooding of the adjacent river resulting in disposed rocks from the adjoining rocky outcrops and ledges.  Most of the trail is covered with fallen autumn leaves making each step a possible hazard.

 

I was expecting the trail to be muddy because of the recent rain.  I brought along my farm rubber boots, but they are not comfortable for any length of time, so I elected not to wear them.   Instead, I opted to wear my most worn out pair of Nike running shoes because I did not want to ruin a decent, more supportive pair.  A good pair of hiking boots would have been a better choice, but I do not own hiking boots.  So, my thread-bear Nikes with the sole separated from the shoe on the left foot made do.

 
barely a trail along the water's edge...the rock near center foreground is the one that I used as a step...it teetered,
sending my foot into the cold water

Within the first 10 minutes of our hike, my foot slipped into the cold water of St. Mary’s river.  The path had narrowed to a person’s foot width right next to the water’s edge on a slightly steep slope.  I took a step onto a protruding rock positioned about six inches off the bank, but that rock was not stable and it moved sending my foot into the water. My right shoe and pant leg were soaking wet, my foot cold. Matt, walking ahead of me and checking back on me from time to time, said he saw that coming. OK…so why did he not warn me? Fortunately, within a short amount of time, my foot warmed up.

 

Shortly, we passed two hunters.  They were well-equipped with guns and leashed, radio-collared dogs. I knew what that meant, but I just had to verify. I asked if they were hunting bear.  The affirmative was quick.  They continued on without stopping and without my getting a chance to ask if they had seen any bear. Putting the thought of running into a bear out of my mind, I focused on the beauty of the trees, the river, the rock formations, and the time spent with my son.

 

I kept a steady, but slow pace trailing behind much faster, even at his reduced stride, Matt.  I am always conscious of slipping, falling, or making a misstep even under the best conditions.  I do not want to fall.

 

1 1/2 hours into our hike, the trail ended on our side of the river and it continued on the far side of the river. The water moved fast and looked deep.  I knew it was cold.  Even though Matt had carried my boots in his backpack, I decided that the water was probably deeper than my boots high.  Decision made. This was an ideal turn-around.  We would not make it to the waterfall today.  That would be a goal for another day.  I am thinking mid-summer when the water level is lower and getting wet would actually be refreshing.

 

For now, I will chalk up the day to fun with my son!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment