summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, April 11, 2016

An April More Akin To March




Just over one week ago, April 1 to be exact, I woke early in the morning to the sound of April showers gently hitting the tin roof of the pergola just outside my bedroom window.



The sky was grey with the forecast of sun to arrive by early afternoon. And, the sun did arrive.



That little bit of rain quickly turned the initial hints of spring (early flowering daffodils) into an abundance of new growth and blossoms.



The grass seemed to change into its amazing ‘spring green’ instantaneously.  I could watch that grass all day just cherishing the initial green color coming out of winter that will age quickly to its more standard growing season green.  There is nothing that quite compares to that spring green.  It calls out to me to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors.  And, I follow its quiet persuasion.



Along with the calling of the green grass comes the start of many blossoms – wild violets dot the lawn and flower beds, sweet cherry blossoms, later season daffodils, the many hues of tulips, ornamental pear.  The wide-spread money plant will be added to the mix within days.  The flowering dogwoods have just started to expand their colorful bracts, I have both red and white.  Even these precursors to the full flowered bracts add interest to my eyes.  Foliage develops indicating the location of many more flowering plants to entertain – irises, poppies, daylilies.  Flower buds on other shrubs enlarge with the hope of many more blooms in the future – azaleas, rhododendrons, sour cherry, apples, and so many more perennials.




 






















The previously bare branched trees of the woods surrounding our pastures have hinted at life with a suggestion of yellow-green.  Accenting these trees are scattered a few maples with their brilliant red and pendulous seed samaras and the early violet blossoms of the redbud trees. 



A multitude of color is definitely coming back into my world.  I am exhilarated.



No matter how much time I spend strolling in my gardens, I never seem to spend enough time to absorb all the fineness that nature is providing.  I do my best, though!



Then, the wonderful spring weather quickly reverted to winter’s cold and blustery winds throughout the week.  Today a spattering of snow along with the subfreezing temperatures threatened all growing plants.  Many perennials exhibited damaged tender tips.  Blossoms drooped.



Tonight, the worst is still to come with the temperatures dropping even more.  (Note: I woke to a 20-degree morning.)



This late cold blast is not new.  It is normal.



But, it does not mean that I have to like it.  I do not!

Yet I do know warmer temperatures will return bringing lots of color and scents.

My anticipation is overwhelming.


No comments:

Post a Comment