summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

I See Apples and Cherries in My Future



apple blossoms have a pink blush




Yippee!  The apples and sour cherry are in full bloom.  And, the past few days have been sunny and warm which certainly helps get the pollinating bee population busy. 



cherry blossoms are pure white
Our last, and very late freeze, did not seem to affect the flower buds of these fruit trees.  The wisteria and lilacs were not as fortunate.  The flower buds on these plants shriveled and turned brown – better luck next year.  I will miss a few blossoms, but we will have our apple and cherry crop – yummy!



Now, I have to find a solution to the stealthy bird situation.  The ripened sweet and sour cherries seem to be favorites of many bird species and they usually beat me to the treasure.



I like my birds, and I do not mind sharing a few cherries but not the entire crop.



I will be hanging a few shiny CD’s to help ‘scare’ the birds away from my juicy cherries.



Does anyone have a better idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment