summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Watching the Birds


I believe this season is going to be a fabulous birdwatching season.



This spring has already been crazy with the regular feathered friends as well as rare sightings for me.  

tree swallow

same bird stretching its wings















Last evening as Glenn and I relaxed on the back deck, we saw a bunch of bald eagles in flight and landing in our pasture.  I counted five eagles as well as one raptor which we think was an osprey.


one of the five bald eagles in our pasture


I was thrilled as I have never seen more than two eagles at one time (and that sighting only occurred once last year as a pair flew just over my head – single eagles are sporadic, too) on our farm. (NOTE:  When Glenn and I were living in Alaska, Bald Eagles were commonplace.  They faithfully followed the garbage trucks)



Glenn was less excited.  He remarked as to how one eagle could decimate his fish in his pond. And to make matters worse, Becky had found a complete fish skeleton laying on the ground, near the pond, earlier in the day. Now there might be five hungry eagles and an osprey whose diet, by the way, is fish and only fish making visits.  I kind of feel Glenn’s anguish even though I am not a fan of the pond fish as I mentioned in previous blogs.  I much prefer the eagles.  Then, Glenn added that the eagles might also eat our lambs.  I am rethinking this regal eagle thing.





Today, I saw a palm warbler.  Of course, I thought I was looking at a sparrow until I flipped through my bird field guide which is always kept at home. I was pleased to discover a new-to-me bird.  Then again, I might have seen many palm warblers thinking that I was only seeing sparrows – ugh! 








Even though I have been watching birds for years, watching does not make me any kind of an expert.  I am a novice at all of my interests, I think, because I have so many interests and I do not afford the time with any particular one. 



So, I keep limping along hoping to identify all my bird encounters as best as I can.



Hearing the birds, seeing the birds, photographing the birds, identifying the birds…all fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment