summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Frog Frenzy 2016


Today is the day.  The day when the 2016 Frog Frenzy began.  And, once again, I am glad that I was able to experience this loud but amazing natural phenomenon.



I checked back to last year’s blogs and found that the 2015 Frog Frenzy occurred on April 13th.  This year’s event is eleven days earlier.  I wonder if that means that I can count on the last frost date to be 11 days earlier.  If so, that would make April 4th the first safe date to begin planting new plants and veggies into my gardens – hmmmm??



Yesterday, when I reached the pond, I could hear a frog or two, but nothing like today’s spectacle.



First, I could hear the frogs way up at the house despite a strong winds which created an alternative noise of its own.   The closer I got to the pond, the louder the frog clamor became.

 

And, there were lots of frogs today.  In fact, it seemed like the entire shore perimeter of the pond was occupied with these amphibians.  All their vocalizing was loud and non-stop.  There was never one second when the pond was silent.



Besides the frogs sounding off, the frogs jumped on each other, the frogs stared at me, the frogs swam, the frogs rested, the frogs…well, you get the picture.  The only thing I did not see the frogs do was eat. 



Last year the frog frenzy lasted only one day. So, I made sure to enjoy today’s frenzy.



Check out these funny frogs for yourself… 











No comments:

Post a Comment