summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, January 7, 2017

First Sticking Snow of the Season


Early yesterday morning, the sunny skies quickly turned overcast and gloomy. The forecast promised our first snow accumulation of the season.



I looked out at the birdfeeders and saw that they were empty of birds and of feed. With the pending foul weather, I needed to take care of my feathered friends, so I immediately filled the cylinder and the platform feeders with a mix of grey-striped sunflower seed and cracked corn – a mix that is favored by all my bird visitors. Within ten minutes, my feeders were crowded with titmice, sparrows, juncos, blue jays, cardinals, mourning doves, nuthatches and woodpeckers.  I invited quite a party.  These birds must have been waiting and watching from the nearby forest trees.  I gave them what they wanted and, in turn, they gave me quite a delightful show with their presence.

 

As the day progressed, a flurry of snowflakes began falling from the sky, but the snow never mustered more than a dusting. More snow arrived during the night.





Today, I woke to nearly 2 inches of snow.  Snow showers continued throughout the morning adding another 1/2 inch or so of fluffy whiteness.  This snow will be short lived though, as the temperatures are due to rise to the 50’s in a day or so.  A kind of ‘Indian Spring’ of winter akin to the more typical ‘Indian Summer’ of fall.



I will take spring, any spring, over winter any day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment