summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

One Month Down...Already - UGH!




January was quite a diverse month.  It had its hot days, its cold days, a little bit of snow days (not much thank goodness), its windy days, its sunny days, its cloudy days…well, you get the picture.






I especially like the hot days, hot for January that is.



I made a special effort to go out and garden on the hot days.  Yes, garden.  Not in harvest, but in clearing dead debris, dead plant material, and cutting back perennials to get them ready for their spring flush.



I am happy to say that I was able to get through my entire garden; vegetable, fruit, and perennials, once.  I will do another pass in early spring, just before any new growth begins, to get the last of the winter-damaged and dead material cleaned out.



Today, this last day of January, was warm but very windy.  I am not a fan of wind, but decided to take advantage of the gorgeous and very comfortable temperatures.  I took my dogs for a walk down to the pond.  It has been over two months since we last made that trek and they were excited.  I was anxious as I did not know if I could muster the energy to make the return trip…all up hill.



I did.



There were not any birds and no leaves on the trees.  The farm looked more open and vacant. Not my favorite season.




But, it was good to get out and move this old body again.  A real treat!

P.S.  Yesterday, Buddy went missing all day and Glenn found him at a neighbor's house playing with their four kids.  He had never gone there before and was reluctant to come home with Glenn.  I guess four little kids are more fun to hang with than two old folks. So much for one obedient dog. And, the training continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment