summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, February 6, 2017

Comfort Zones




Yesterday afternoon the dogs and I went on our routine (down to the pond) walk.



It was a warmer February day, yet still a bit brisk and windy.  So, before leaving the house, I had to decide on the appropriate attire.   Two sweatshirts, an added hat or a knitted combination hat/scarf, gloves…I finally decided to go with less and opted for one heavy sweatshirt.  If I got cold, I could always put the hood up and walk a bit faster.



Within minutes out from the house, I was already feeling overheated, even with the cool breeze.  I was inching the zipper open and rolling up my sleeves to reach my comfort zone.  Obvious, I was overthinking the clothing issue.



Snowball ran out ahead and was the first to the pond.  That is OK except I was hoping to sneak up on a Great Blue Heron and Snowball would definitely scare that majestic bird into flight before my arrival.  But, the Great Blue was not to be seen.  Instead, a pair of disturbed Canada geese came floating out of hiding from a small, browned patch of cattails residing along the shallow edge of the pond. (Glenn dislikes geese, especially those that enjoy HIS pond. And, he will not be thrilled when I inform him of the geese status.)  Usually the dogs bark and chase the geese the best they can, dogs on land and geese in water, but today the dogs decided that further investigation would be more interesting.  Snowball and Buddy continued their run/walk beyond the pond and to a large spring area below.


half of the pond with a layer of floating ice...notice the geese at the far side




This gave me a chance to sit down, first surveying that the immediate ground was free of any geese poop, along the pond’s edge and take a few photos.  I totally enjoy my bird, even Canada geese, encounters. The geese slowly meandered back and forth all the while honking.





The dogs returned and we started our return trip home.  As we walked up the first incline away from the pond, the geese continued gliding on the water, but became quiet.



 I guess we had adequately moved out of their comfort zone.


No comments:

Post a Comment