summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

And Then There Were...


Today was a near perfect February day to take a walk.  My thin sweatshirt was off and tied around my waste within seconds of leaving the house and my shirt sleeves were pushed up above my elbows. The breeze proved to be more comforting than inconvenient.



The two Canada geese were still residing down at the pond. They had been joined by two ducks.  A Mallard couple to be exact. The geese were quiet, so in a matter of three days of visiting they evidently had become accustomed to me and my dogs.  The ducks…not so much.  I was able to get a couple of photos of the majestic pair before Buddy and Snowball chased them off.  The two birds took to the air as the dogs jumped up and down at them in excitement from the edge of the water.  The drake and hen flew away in the direction of a neighbor’s pond.  My loss.



Buddy found a bone and carried it back home.  He would run ahead of us and chew, grab the bone and run ahead again as we caught up.



Snowball, on the other hand, walked right behind my heels which is rare.  I heard his panting.  Weather that is desirable for me is not for Snowball.  After all, he is a Pyrenees Mountain Dog.  When I am cold, Snowball is cozy.  When I am freezing, Snowball is in his element. 



The walk was near ending when I noticed what I think was my first sighting of a Pileated Woodpecker this season.  I saw bright red and white undulated through the nearby woods, the colors bold against the grey of the tree bark and bare branches.  How thrilling!



The birds are beginning to come out from their winter hiding. 



Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment