summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Bye, Bye Lambs...for now


Our 2016 lambs were finally sold yesterday.  It seems like they have been here at the farm forever making their presence known only when they wanted their treat of supplemental grain.  Continuous bleating can be quite loud.



Our cattle are purely grass-fed, but the lambs do not fatten fast enough on grass alone; thus, they get a measure of grain daily.  And, they look forward to the grain.

some lambs just feel the need to eat the hay from the top of the bale

watching me prior to loading

Becky, Glenn and I, I even had a station at which to stand, loaded the 42 head.  They needed a lot of coaxing. Being smaller than cattle, lambs are much easier to move around and get them going in the right direction.  Once loaded, Glenn and I took the drive to our buyer.  He has been buying our lambs for the past  years.  He pays a fair price. 



On arrival at the buyer’s farm, the lambs were unloaded, weighed, and we got our payment check.  Fast and easy. 



On the drive home, Glenn stopped at his favorite, local barbeque diner to treat us to a late lunch.  I was starving.  The place was near empty as the lunch crowd, and I do mean crowd, was long gone.  I much prefer the quiet anyway.



Glenn suggested the Philly Cheesesteak sandwich.  A customary favorite for me.. I had not tried the one at Peck’s yet, though.  So, we both ordered the Philly Cheesesteak – fully loaded with grilled green peppers, banana peppers, onions; and lettuce, chopped tomatoes and mayonnaise.  Glenn also had jalapenos. I do not eat hot peppers.  We opted not to get French fries.  I am trying to cut back on fried foods.  Glenn presumed that he would get a piece of my sandwich because I usually get full before I finish the food served and I always share my uneaten portion with Glenn. This was not the case yesterday.  I ate the entire sandwich myself. It was so tasty. Glenn was wishing he had ordered those fries.  He survived.




Since we ate around 3:00 PM, we did not have any dinner later. Actually, we were still well-satisfied from our late lunch.



I am ready to go back to Peck’s now that I found my preferred menu item.



FYI – Peck’s is located just south of Staunton, Virginia on the infamous Route 11.  Make a stop for lunch…you will not be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment