summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Changes


And the warm days of February continue until tomorrow, that is…cooler temperatures in the mid-30’s and a chance of snow are due.



The pond was a bit quieter today.  The geese were gone. I learned that Glenn had been at the pond earlier and chased them away.  Like I persistently mention, Glenn does not like Canada geese.



I sat on the grassy knoll along the water’s edge enjoying the silence of nature.



A bluebird landed on a nearby fencepost and seemed to be surveying the location.  Last fall, Glenn nailed three bluebird boxes in the vicinity around the pond.  I guess this beautiful blue male was wondering if he should take up residence here or not before enticing a mate to join him. This bluebird did not have to look any further in my opinion.  The Mountain Glen Farm pond would be a special place for any bluebird family.



Suddenly, I heard my first Eastern Meadowlark of the season.  I love the siren sounding notes. So, distinctive and oh, so seductive.  I thought I caught sight of this meadowlark on another fencepost, but on closer examination through my camera lens, I was only looking at a yellow plastic insulator to which we attach an electric fence wire – ugh!  But, no fear, I will see plenty of these golden beauties come spring and all through summer and fall.



Now, I am just getting a pleasant preview of what is to come. 



While I was having a relaxing walk, Glenn was at the Jonestown farm cleaning up some small junk woodlots peppered among the pastures. He has been at this work for weeks.  He is pushing out the undesirable tree species, mainly Ailanthus which is considered a weed species, and regrading areas that had been unsatisfactorily manipulated by a previous owner.  The cleared areas will increase the size of the pastures and promote the growth of the trees that remain. The work is slow but the overall result will only be an improvement.





No comments:

Post a Comment