summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Friday the 13th


I like to celebrate Friday the 13th…a kind of secondary holiday if you wish.



Today, my day began with Snowball barking.  On investigation, looking out the window, I discovered that Snowball was barking at quite a group of wild turkeys shuffling just below the house.  I immediately grabbed my camera to get a photo, but the turkeys took to flight on hearing my arrival outside and flew into the adjacent woods.  Turkeys are not great flyers, but they are birds.  Their departure was slow and awkward, but successful.  That is, except for one turkey.  This turkey did not make the short flight over the low fence and wandered along the fence line all day. All day. The group of turkeys was long gone and this one straggler was quite the determined pacer.  The disparaging sentiment of ‘You Turkey’ came to mind.  This bird definitely was that turkey.








The turkey episode would have been enough of a celebration for the day.



Yet, the special mood continued.  I spent about three hours outside working on cleaning up my garden beds.  The mild day, especially welcome for near mid-January, was delightful. The sweatshirt weather turned to shirt-sleeved weather then quickly became rolled- up sleeves weather the longer I worked.  My dogs remained my companions and the hours passed like minutes.  The joy of this particular winter day was a treasure. 

Did I say I was working?  Actually, I was enjoying a marvelous winter, spring-like day! 



Friday, January 13, 2017 was indeed a fabulous holiday!   An unquestionable celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment