summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Country-fried or Chicken-fried Steak?


On a daily basis, I receive a new group of recipes on my e-mail.  I must have signed up for this regular mailing, but I do not recall.  Usually, I just delete that particular e-mail.  I already have plenty of recipes from which to choose.

 

Yesterday, the grouping was for Southern-Style Dinners.  I decided to take a look.  Along the side, not the featured dinners, was a recipe for Country-Fried Steak.  Hmmm…I occasionally order this meal when Glenn and I go out for a ‘better than Burger King’ night-on-the-town dinner.  I really do enjoy Country-fried Steak covered with thick, creamy gravy.

 

I decided to try the recipe.

 

First, I made a potful of mashed potatoes from the potatoes that are still located under the ground in the garden.  Glenn was nice enough to dig me up a pail.  He knew the effort was worth a home cooked dinner.

 

As I prepared, battered and fried, the cubed steaks, Glenn heated a packet of green beans that I had put up (frozen) during the summer harvest.  After the quick frying, I added both chicken broth and milk to make the gravy. And, you gotta add that pepper!

 

Oh, did I mention… since we recently had one of our South Poll beeves butchered, I naturally used our home-raised beef, cubed steak in particular - that is some terrific beef.

 

Well, it was a good thing that neither of the kids was home…Glenn and I polished off a dinner for four in one seating. 


I barely had time to get a photo....gulp...yummy!
 

Unfortunately, the leftovers were mere hopes that I would not have to cook the next evening.

 
Country-fried or chicken-fried?...Does not matter as this recipe is a definite keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment