summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Hunting Day


Yesterday, the weather was mild, warm and sunny.  I went out into the garden to plant a new batch of tulip and crocus bulbs.  After that chore, I decided to stay out to work on weeding other garden beds.  I just did not want to return inside; even after the sky started turning dark, the day was that nice.

 

Today is another story; cold and breezy.  Even with full sun, the air temperature did not warm much past freezing.  I was glad I got my bulbs in yesterday. Not a good gardening day, but good for hunting.
 

 

So, Glenn, Matt and Becky decided to go hunting.  I cannot remember the last time any of the family has hunted.  We have plenty of beef to keep us satisfied, but we also have plenty of wild deer roaming our pastures and woods.

 

Glenn likes to hunt from the front fence, just feet from the house.  As the norm, he returned several times to warm up his insulated cup of coffee.  If it aint easy, Glenn aint hunting.

 

Matt has never hunted.  He never had the inclination. But, he wanted to try this season…strange since he had been living in Alaska, the wild frontier, for the past four years with no hunting trips to his acclaim.

 

Becky was gung-ho on hunting.  She was the first out and about this morning, as well as solo the evening before.
 

 

Shortly after the sun broke, I heard a solitary shot.  I looked out over the farm and saw Glenn.  He seemed to be closing in on two deer, but had not taken a shot yet.  Within minutes, Matt walked into the house.  He killed his first deer with one, clean shot.  I guess the Army has taught him a skill or two.  Another hour passed before another shot rang out.  Glenn killed a yearling; small, but it will be tender eating.

 



I went out with camera in hand to get a few pictures of the next process;   cleaning out the guts. I discovered that Matt actually missed his calling.  He cut and wielded the knife with such finesse and precision…he should have been a surgeon - darn!






Don't forget the heart and liver...
 













Unfortunately, Becky was the empty-handed hunter today.  But, she says she will not give up.  Venison Jerky is on her mind.

 

And Jake…he may be old and stiff but he is not stupid; he knows when it is worth his effort to make the long trek from the house to the field where the deer was dressed.  I could see the smile on his face as he enjoyed the entrails.
 
 

See that smile....
 
 
And, despite the season and weather...there are still dandelions growing in my lawn!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment