summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Orphan Lamb

As I mentioned before, this is our first lambing season - ever.



And, I repeat…lambing season should prove to be interesting and challenging; and, it is!



Initially, the little lambs started to arrive and they were all so cute.  Then, the cute little lambs started to die.  Those that were weak, killed by predators, and some stillborn.  The reality of bucolic farm life, any life for that matter, includes both life and death. 


Yesterday, a ewe died.  She had one lamb. No other mama was going to adopt the unfortunate orphan.  Sheep are not accepting of other ewes’ offspring.  So, it was up to us to become the provider for that tiny and needy creature.



Becky started the first couple of feedings.  The lamb was moved from the spare chicken pen into my garden shed for the night; for both warmth (the temperatures were due to drop below freezing) and for safety from nocturnal predators. 

photo-op with Buddy

photo-op with Jake

I take feeding duty when Becky is not around.



This morning’s feeding with Glenn’s help (I am not as adept as Becky) went OK.  The little lamb is not use to the rubber nipple; but, in time, I am sure she will get use to the substitute. 



I can only hope…

No comments:

Post a Comment