summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, April 27, 2012

Rosy Rhododendron



I have one magnificent rhododendron in my garden.  That is all I need.




In reality, this rhodie came with the farm.  It was already growing in the flower bed below the kitchen window when we bought the farm almost 23 years ago. The color is perfect!




This rhodie has been transplanted, by me, three times.  I finally found a place where I decided it would be home.  The rhodie now resides comfortably on the east side of the house, in the shade of the silver maple tree and the house.  The health of the rhodie lets me know that this is the ideal location.


The Over-achiever - one flower opened way ahead of all the others!


Early spring is resulting in early blossoming of most every plant this season…the rhodie is no different. 




The rhododendron forms its flower buds in the fall, so I know how extensive the blossoming will be six months in advance.  When spring arrives, I get anxious as I watch the pointed buds expand; the hint of color popping out; then, the fully opened globe of gorgeous rosy magenta flowers.  The flowering of each bud is staggered, so the blooming season is generously extended. 




Just the way I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment