summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Springtime Sugar Maples

Late April… most deciduous trees have filled their characteristic naked branches of winter with lush, green leaves. 



I repeat, most; not all.



The two sugar maples, residing in my lawn; one at the back of the house and one at the front, have only just broken bud. A few flowers add texture. I know from years of watching that this is normal; but, I still get concerned. I wonder if those trees are still alive or if; perhaps, they have died over the winter. 
















During springtime, I keep a daily vigil; watching and wondering.  Then, one day, I see the first hint of green at the branch tips at the very top of the tree.  I can breathe easier.  I knew I did not have to worry; but I did, just the same.




These two trees play major roles in my landscaping; they are anchors to the rest of my garden.  Glenn and I planted each tree after scrutinizing their fall color as they both still stood, roots balled in burlap, at a local nursery.  Once I approved of the colors, the trees were purchase when they were only small saplings; one sugar maple (the boldest of reds) one year, the second (a mellow orange) a few years later.

Autumn 2011

We have relished each for their specific color and growth pattern; but, most importantly throughout the year, these trees provide many birds a place to rest, and many beautiful vignettes which I file in photos and in my mind; reminders of generosity, beauty, life.




Today, like every day, a male cardinal sits in the highest branch and sings his recognizable melodies.  I hear him at 5:30 in the morning. He returns during late afternoon, before dusk, to sing again.  I can still see his vibrant feathers giving way to his location. Soon, he will only be heard and not seen.  But, I know where he is perched.  And, he will make me smile.



Everyone deserves a tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment