summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, April 30, 2012

Worth The Wait

Being the gardener and outdoor person that I am, I wait an entire year to see many things one time during a particular season knowing that I will have to wait an entire year just to observe such item again…baby birds stretching their heads over the edge of their nest, beaks open, squawking for food; amazing autumn color; the first snowfall of winter; the blooming of a particular spring flower.



I am not a patient person, but I have no choice in matters concerning Mother Nature.  So, wait I must.  And, the wait is always worth the 365 days, more or less.




The piece de resistance of waiting is this…the wild yellow lady slipper orchid.  Aren't they magnificent?



Come spring, I watch for specific green shoots to pierce the ground just steps into the woods from the edge of my lawn.  I watch daily as these shoots elongate.  I might wait a day or two before I return if progress seems slow.  Then, one day, there they are: brilliant yellow color shining through the shade of the woodland, perfectly-formed slippers enhanced with tiny purple dots on the inside.  I look closely so as not to miss any detail.   


Do you see a monkey's face?


A few seasons back, I discovered a second, smaller patch of yellow lady slippers growing about twenty feet away from what I thought was a solo component of my woods.  Now, I get twice the pleasure!




I make sure to enjoy these fabulous orchids daily. These blooms never last long enough for my taste. 



I step gently into the woods, slowing walking toward the outstanding flowers.  Buddy stays back on the lawn, crouching low to the ground, as if he knows he must behave while I have my moment.   I look at each bloom from every direction.  Sometimes I catch a ray of sun penetrating the delicate membrane. I am not in any hurry, so I purposely linger. And, I never miss a peek inside the slipper before I take my leave. 




Yes… the wait of a year is definitely worth just one sight of the beautiful, wild, yellow lady slipper.

No comments:

Post a Comment