summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, January 19, 2013

The 'Unmentionable' Farm Product



A few days ago, before Thursday’s snow, when the weather was unseasonably warm - similar to an Indian Summer in the fall, only it is mid- January (What would this warm weather be called in January?); my friend Ann needed one of our farm products…not eggs, not beef, not lamb but MANURE!

Ann was in the midst of working in her raised beds in preparation for the upcoming spring planting.  Manure was essential.  And, we had a huge pile of the well-seasoned stuff just waiting to be spread on the fields at ‘55’.  I had offered Ann the manure when she said she needed to amend her soil.  There is nothing better than natural, organic, easy to obtain and pretty much free cow manure.


 





Jack

 
Ann arrived with her husband and her Dad, who is visiting, to get a trunkful of the dark, aged manure.  Jack, the family’s Golden Retriever, got the honor of presiding over the pile on the return trip home.




"Boy, do I smell something good!"
 
I saw Ann the next day and, as I anticipated, she had spread the entire truckload over her beds.  Ann is not one to put off a job to tomorrow when it can be done now.

Me…I am still in the process of putting away my Christmas decorations.  Spreading manure in my garden…check back with me in April, or even May.

Ann and her Dad talking to Becky.

Ann with her husband, Steve...better know as "Rockbridge Gothic".
 

No comments:

Post a Comment