summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, January 7, 2013

In The Darkness


Last evening, I decided to take a short walk.  It was dusk; and, bad timing on my part since dusk quickly turns to night at this time of year.

 

I took the farm road through the woods thinking it would be easier walking; unfortunately, it was also darker under the towering trees.  The dogs were my only companions.  Sometimes, the cats follow along on walks, but even they must have felt it was too dark to wander in the wild wood.

 

Within moments, I was unable to see my feet.  Even on bright, sunny days, I watch every spot of ground where I place my feet.  I have this fear of falling; so, I try to be careful with every step.  Not so tonight…I would be taking chances. 

 

Nevertheless, I continued as the obscure calmness of the night lured me into complete solitude.  Buddy ran ahead and was out of sight and sound in a second.  Jake, even slower than I, kept pace just behind me.  I could make out just a glimpse of the white fur about his neck.  He crept silently.

 

There was no moonlight filtering through the bare tree branches.  I stood, surrounded in total darkness.  I listened.  There was not one sound, no leaves crunching from an animal in motion; no passing deer, no curious bear.  The forest was silent. What little fear I felt vanished.

 

I was safe.  I was revitalized.  I was at peace.

 

I will have to revisit this worthwhile sojourn again…soon! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment