summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, January 27, 2013

My Garden...Game On


Intellicast states that it is 40°, but feels like 34.  I beg to differ with either of the two figures.  I just came inside with frozen hands after being out a mere 30 minutes.  And, yes…I was wearing gloves.

 

Today, I was able to get Glenn to help me in my garden.  He used the weed eater, with blade attachment, to trim my perennials.  The weed eating saves me days, maybe even weeks, of labor. 



 

The majority of the garden trimming is usually a spring chore, but I always fall behind if I wait that long.  I have to decide if I prefer winter interest in the garden beds to getting a jump start on spring clean-up of the beds.  This year I am trying to stay ahead and I am hoping my plants do not suffer for my eagerness.  I will find out come March and April.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The negative side of Glenn helping out is that he does not take as much care as I desire.  A weed eater in Glenn’s hands gives him license to mow anything down in sight. Each plant needs specific care.  Some plants need to be trimmed at a height taller than others; but, according to Glenn, the plants are all trimmed at the same level…ground level.  And, to make the process more exacting, some of the daffodils have already broken through the soil.  DON"T CUT THE DAFFODILS!!!!


 

I walk as close as possible, staying a safe distance from flying debris, to Glenn to yell, above the engine clamor, specific directions.  Sometimes he says he hears me, others times I think he just ignores me.

 

But, I put up with the iffiness (I love to make up words) of his technique to save my time and my extreme muscle soreness; hoping that I will be able to finely trim each plant adequately  when the growing begins.

 

I reiterate… being ahead in the garden game is huge! However, truth be told, the garden always wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment