summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A First...Even For Me


 
Today, I am viewing bees feeding at the bird feeders. The birds seem agitated at the invasion of what has been THEIR territory.  When the birds land on the feeder, they quickly leave upon noticing all the bees.  They steer clear realizing the imminent danger. The ‘birds and the bees’ are not collaborators; and, would do well to be thought of independent of the other.

 

Grant you…it is 62°, warm enough for bees to be buzzing, but I have never seen bees near, at, or on the feed at my bird feeders.  As the air temperature increased as the morning moved into afternoon, so did the number of bees.

 

After their initial attempt at feeding, the birds decided to stay away all day.  The bees had complete control over the bird feeders. 

 

I was buzzed several times as I walked more than 25 feet away.  I did not need to feel the sting, the unpleasant and enduring sensation, which I have experienced many times in my past.  I, as well, sought refuge away from the feeders.

How many bees do you see?
 
What the heck is going on?  I am stumped.  I do not consider dry, cracked corn or grey-striped sunflower seeds as tempting ambrosia to a bee.  Evidently, this late January day, it is since flowers are absent.

 

Any other explanations out there?

 

***************************************************************

 

Special Birthday Wishes go out to my dear and long-time friend, Chris…CELEBRATE !

No comments:

Post a Comment