summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, September 21, 2012

Last Day of Summer


A heron just flew directly over my head. 

 

WOW!  Double WOW!

 

I had never been that close to a flying heron and I had never observed a heron from that perspective. It was absolutely amazing.

 

I caught that proverbial glimpse from the corner of my eye, which made me look up, as I was walking back to the house from watering the chickens.

 

There was no sound from the extended wings that slowly raised and lowered in a smooth rhythm as the body quietly passed over my head.  The color, light to medium grey, was exquisite against the deep blue of the afternoon sky.  Just before the bird reached the tree tops of the nearby woods at the edge of my vegetable garden and disappeared, I was finally able to observe the entire body.

 

Yep…positive verification that I had another heron sighting…such a fabulous addition to a beautiful, late (actually, last) summer day; perhaps, my personal good-by to the season of sun, green grass, and garden bounty.

 

Amidst the chaos of the outside world, there are still moments of peace and tranquility…at least, in my world, at Mountain Glen Farm.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment