summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sheep Working Day


HELLO! Rather....BAAAA!



Now, I know.  Sheep are just like cows; they have only lower teeth at the front of their mouths.  That is huge news for me!

 

For the past year plus, since obtaining our first flock of sheep ever, I was told that they have both upper and lower teeth.  And, they do; just at the back of their jaws, not at the front.  I have told other people this incorrect information.  As verification, when one of our sheep would open its mouth, it looked like it was smiling with a full set.  Not the case.

 

Yesterday, during our fall sheep working day (it just happened to fall on the first day of autumn), Becky corrected my erroneous thinking.  I did not believe her, but…

 

As I was standing there talking to her, one of our very friendly ewes walked up to me.  I took that opportunity to open her mouth and look inside, up front.  Yep…lower teeth only.  And, I put my fingers in her mouth to double verify.


How about a scratch...thanks, that feels good.
 

Even Glenn thought that sheep had both lowers and uppers.  I guess we both learned something today. 

 

To those folks I told otherwise; I apologize for passing along incorrect details.  In my defense, I never had my hand in a sheep’s mouth before yesterday afternoon.

 

So, after that significant discovery, we all (Glenn, Matthew, Becky and I) went to work. 


 
Who's first?
I had the easiest job; I recorded the facts, I repeat…facts: ear tag number of ewe; amount of worm medicine given, if needed; if the hoofs were clipped or not; overall coat appearance such as smooth, woolly, medium, remnants of a cape, or down right fluffy.  At this time of year, the sheep should be smooth with the least amount of residual (last winter’s) extra hair.  Sheep which retain their winter coats tend to overheat during the summer; so, we are trying to eliminate this characteristic in our herd. It is a process that will take years.  We begin by keeping lambs for replacement ewes from ewes with a smooth summer coat.  Also, ewes that retain a substantial amount of last year’s growth seem to be more susceptible to acquiring parasites; another undesirable characteristic that needs to be minimized and/or eliminated.   Lastly, the amount the hoofs need to be trimmed is another factor for female lamb retention.  We want ewes with slow hoof growth; keeping that chore to a minimum over the course of the year.  Our goals are to maintain healthy ewes and lambs that are resistant to parasites and to retain those animals that need the least amount of maintenance.  Period.



Cyndy recording from the best seat in the working area - actually the only seat in the working area.


What are you doing?  Oh good, a pedicure...make my color Rosy Red, please!

PINK indicates a 'keeper' female lamb - a future Mountain Glen Farm ewe
done...back to business...eating and relaxing
 


resting and relaxing after their wellness exams
 
Glenn, Matt and Becky did the manual labor of grabbing the sheep, one by one; treating for parasites, as necessary,  and trimming hoofs, as necessary.  Five hours later, all the sheep had gone through the process.  In the end, the sheep were content; grazing and resting.  And, Glenn, Matt and Becky were exhausted and in various degrees of pain from muscle exertion. 

 

a very tired bunch


maybe there is another seat in the working area or just  an odd-looking ewe


Fortunately, a BIG job was crossed off 'the list'!

 

One last chore of the day awaited…Glenn and Matthew loaded Scruffy (removing him from the main herd of cows) and took him to rest with our other herd bull, three yearling bulls and a couple of cull cows all which are currently grazing on leased pasture.  I did not go along, but I heard the story…the two mature bulls, the first time they had ever been together, went through the natural routine of fighting for dominance.  After much pushing and head bumping, Little Red, being the smaller of the two, relented to the #2 spot.  This morning, the beefy bulls are getting along knowing their standing in the herd.  (Note:  Since Little Red was our first South Poll bull, he will always be the top bull on the farm in my eyes.)

 

Did I mention that the weather was warm, sunny with varying overcast, slightly breezy and perfect for the first day of autumn and for our fall sheep working day?  Well…it was!

 

Absolutely GORGEOUS! 

No comments:

Post a Comment