summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Caught Out in the Cold


My bird feeder was empty.  The day was cold.  My feathered friends needed the supplemental food.

 

I thought I would make a fast trip to fill the bird feeder that sits just outside the living room window.

 

I filled my bird seed scoop from the storage can located in the storage room which is accessed from the outside off the front porch.  I carefully walked through the house not wanting to spill any seed, through the solarium and out the back door which is the shortest way to the feeder.  I only use this inside route in extremely cold weather as I usually just walk around the outside of the house to fill the feeder, 60 seconds tops. 

 

The feeder was virtually empty, but the holes in which the birds retrieve seed were semi-blocked with the remnants of frozen seed.  So, even though I was cold, I decided to take the extra minute to dig out that frozen seed before filling the feeder.  As I was digging, I heard the storm door bang shut.

 

The wind blew strong.  I tried to finish my task at hand quickly. I was getting colder by the second.

 

I walked the few steps to the back door to return inside and the door was locked. The wind actually caused the door to lock.  I was getting extremely cold because I had not anticipated being out in the elements for longer than a few seconds.  I wore no coat.  And now, I had to walk around to the opposite side of the house and hope that I kept the front door open, as in unlocked, when I filled my seed scoop.  I had.  I do have a habit of locking every door as I pass.

 

I put the seed scoop back into the can of bird feed and hurriedly stepped back inside the house.

 

The house was not real warm, but after several minutes outside in the very cold, blustering air, it was very comforting.  I thawed quickly.

 

Next time, I will take the extra time to throw on a winter coat before starting the shortest chore.  I should always anticipate the unexpected.

 

I just hope I made my birds happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment