summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Calm Before the Forecasted Storm

 
Today was sunny, calm and cold.  The forecast is for a major snowstorm to begin arriving tomorrow and lasting for a couple of days. The mild and spring-like days of this past December are gone and left in their wake is a garden full of daffodil leaves protruding 6-inches out of the ground. 
 
yikes...I even see a yellow flower bud...winter?
 
Glenn went into action…he installed the snowplow blade on his pick-up truck, purchased the requisite gallon of milk, helped Becky honker down her farm, and plans to move all our livestock closer to the house before the actual snow flies.  He wants to be sure his chore time during the blizzard will be as easy possible and preparing will help.
 
 


 
 
 
 
I bundled up and went out to give my chickens fresh water and collect eggs, filled my wild bird feeders, recovered one of my raised strawberry beds with pine boughs that had blown off during our last windy day, and enjoyed watching the birds (mainly chickadees, titmice, nuthatches, juncos and a few woodpeckers) visit the full feeders.  Early during my chores the zipper on my old, oh so comfortable and only winter work jacket broke -ugh! The best I could do was to put on a heavy sweatshirt over the thin sweatshirt I already had on under this jacket.  It worked.  I was just as warm.  So comfortable in fact, I decided to go for a walk.
 
 
 
 
 
As usual, the dogs were at my side within seconds.  They must have a special sense as to when I decide to take a walk rather than just putter around the yard doing chores.  Buddy and Snowball never miss a chance to go for a walk.
 
Walking at this time of year is a bit hazardous for me.  The ground is frozen solid as a rock, but the sun thaws a thin layer creating a slick surface.  I usually use my bamboo walking stick to give myself an extra point of contact with the ground for added stability. And, sometimes I just have to take baby steps.
 
Today’s walk went without incident. 
 
Now, we wait for the snow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment