summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Last of the Apple Harvest


Winter arrived.  A mere 8 degrees when we woke this morning.

 

I was concerned about my potted plants in the solarium, but the temperature was a balmy 36.  We may have to think about adding a heat source for the really chilly days so that my plants do not succumb.

 

My dental appointment for today was canceled because my dentist arrived back from a holiday trip to California with the flu.  I was informed that I would be seeing the other dentist in the office, but I did that once before when my regular check-up was scheduled during my dentist’s vacation.  (I guess he really likes to travel - especially during my 6-month check-ups.) It was not a thorough examine, so I opted to be rescheduled.  There was an opening on Thursday.  Two days from telling me my dentist had the flu did not give me confidence of having a germ-free appointment.  I am now scheduled for March 11 - ugh!

 

So, I decided to make apple pie instead.  The crisper drawer in my refrigerator is filled with apples getting close to being discarded.  I do not mean discarded as to the trash, but discarded as supplemental food to the other animals on our farm.  Not much goes to waste at Mountain Glen.  The chickens, horse, donkey and cattle would all love a treat even if that treat is a bit on the south side of crisp. Let’s just call the fruit a bit fermented and a bit rotten.  I am also going to try something new.  I have several local Asian pears, a gift, which I plan to mix with the apples.  I think the combination sounds delightful.  I will let you know.

 

I have recently changed my pie-making norm of baking a large pan, 9” X 13”, to making two 8” rounds and freezing these, before baking,  for a future time.  I just learned this little trick and I am completely sold.  I use to think that I had to eat the entire fresh apple pie in a day or two.  And, I usually did.  Silly me.  Besides, once I make the two pies to freeze, I still have enough dough and filling left to make two 6” tarts perfect for the evening’s dessert - a definite win-win in my mind.

 

Well, time to thaw the Cool-Whip and get to my peeling. 

 

P.S.  The chickens will relish the peeling and the cores - yummy!

 

P.P.S. Apple-Pear Pie - absolutely delicious!  Note to me: make this combo again.

No comments:

Post a Comment