summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, January 15, 2016

KFC Cole Slaw

I have been quite the cook lately busy trying new recipes.
 
I like cole slaw and my most favorite is that which is served at Kentucky Fried Chicken establishments.  For flavor, it beats even the homemade kind offered at many non-franchise type restaurants.
 
So when a KFC copycat recipe surfaced in my e-mail, I just had to print it off to make it someday.  Cabbage is the main ingredient and I do not keep cabbage as a staple in my refrigerator.  I had to grocery shop first.
 
 Yesterday was the day I made the cole slaw.
 
Like always, I do make a few personal revisions to any recipe that I use and this time the changes I made had more to do with technique than with the actual ingredients.
 
I started by shredding the cabbage by hand rather than with the requisite food processor.  I was trying to cut back on washing a few dishes and I was trying to save the wear and tear of my food processor.  My food processor is very old and I use it a lot when I can tomatoes.  This past season, I noticed a bit of a slowdown in the mechanics.  Ever since, I have been trying to find a good replacement and I have not.  Good friends are hard to replace.  Are there any suggestions out there for a reliable, durable, economical and well-manufactured food processor?  Am I asking for too much? In case a replacement is not found by the 2016 tomato harvest, I will be using my timeworn but still operable processor hoping beyond hope that it will last another season. Food processing my tomatoes during the canning process is essential.  There is no other option, no other alternative for me. Consequently, I am utilizing it as little as possible. 
 
My hand-shredding produced a coarser chopped cabbage rather than a fine shred from a processor.  I also rough-chopped the carrots instead of processing thin shavings.
 
Once I shredded/chopped and mixed all the ingredients, the cole slaw was supposed to marinate for at least 8 hours or overnight.  By my timetable, we ate it at the 7th hour.  Leftovers will make the overnight schedule.
 
Looks like KFC...does it taste like KFC?
The findings…KFC copycat or not?
 
Even after a short marinate, I will make this recipe again.  This cole slaw is a great tasting slaw, KFC-like but fresher, and so easy!
 
A Colonel Sanders I am not, but my homemade cole slaw is a fabulous substitute.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment