summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Grey Day

mountains undercover
 
The day was overcast and very grey.  Rain was forecast to arrive late in the afternoon even though it looked like the rain would fall any minute.
 
I had just taken my chocolate banana bread out of the oven to cool.  Perhaps, if I was lucky, I could get a walk in before the rain arrived.  I needed to work off a few of those added calories that would come with enjoying my baked chocolate goodness later.
 
I decided to walk down to the pond since that is my favorite trek with the dogs.  I also decided to wear my rubber boots.  I usually wear running shoes, but it was muddy and damp and I thought the rubbers would give me a bit more protection.  I have never worn these boots for any more than a few minutes or so doing farm chores in the muddy paddocks, so I was putting a great deal of trust into my decision.  The boots worked better than anticipated.  My socks did not slide down off my feet into the boot toes as they have so many times before, but my feet were a bit loose sliding around inside the boots as I walked.  A heavier pair of socks would improve that situation the next time.
 
And, just in case I did not be the arrival of the rain, I wore plenty of clothes to keep me warm and dry.  I did beat the rain and I was sweating from the over-abundance of clothing, but, better safe than sorry as the old saying goes.
the Mallards have returned
 
At the pond I was surprised by two ducks, a Mallard couple, swimming around the partially thawed water.  I have been watching for Mallards for weeks and was so happy to finally see them enjoying our pond.  My decision to walk to the pond today was definitely a good one.
 
As I made the turn to return to the house, I noticed that I had completely lost sight of Snowball. Buddy was at my side.  I called and whistled.  No Snowball.  I kept looking down into the far pasture and calling.  All of a sudden I heard the bushes in the woods behind me rustle.  Snowball came happily bounding out of the woods.  It is amazing how the dogs have the superior ability to get 180 degrees around me without my knowledge.
 
And, it is amazing that Snowball is actually starting to listen to my commands.  Now, if he would only stay and watch the sheep as told. 
 
After all, he is the guard dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment