summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, July 9, 2012

Flashes of Indigo Plus

While out walking about my gardens, I kept seeing little flashes of intense blue fly past me.  Too small for a Blue Jay, I concluded that the flashes must be Indigo Buntings.



I grabbed my camera, moved an old plastic milk jug crate into the shade, plopped myself down, and waited.





And, I continued to wait.  I was determined to get an in-focus, up-close photo of this gorgeous little bird.





My patience paid off.  Within 15 quiet minutes the Indigoes returned, lighted on nearby branches, and I was able to get my photos.




Then, a rare opportunity …a hummingbird also took a break from its normally fast and frantic flight. This small bird lighted on the top branch of my tri-color beech tree and sat; no wing motion whatsoever.




The photos are treasures, but the realization that such a large variety of bird species (these two being a small sample) use and enjoy my gardens is better; my true reward - the birds’ presence and beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment