summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Runaway Vine

I have a vine growing that I fondly call my runaway vine.





I did not plant it, but once I noticed it growing early this summer, I could not pull it out of the ground.  I wanted to watch it develop into….well, that detail was going to be a surprise, to me.



Now, that little upstart of a vine growing next to the back deck, has blossomed; both figuratively and literally.




The blossoms are huge, brilliant yellow well placed throughout the vine. They glow among the dark of the leaves, and are well visited by bees.  The leaves, too, are large scaled which hide the developing fruit.  The vine(s) are growing in all directions; over a perennial, along the ground, throughout the branches of a shrub, and even expanding out on top of the deck. I think the vine will reach the roof soon. This vine has no limits.




This week I was able to identify the bounty growing on this vine.  My favorite little green-striped, yellow-banded gourds are starting to make a presence.  They are so cute hanging out among the foliage and new blossoms. 




Last year’s gourd crop fills a basket, the once vibrant colors faded to grey.  They desperately need to be replaced. These new gourds will bring the joy of color back to the basket and to many corners of the house where I choose to display them.




And, all this color and charm from a runaway vine that grew from a wayward seed.


No comments:

Post a Comment