summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, July 23, 2012

Peppers Peaking

The peppers are starting to mature more rapidly now.




Look at the color - so intense, so beautiful.



The last couple of weeks have produced enough green peppers to keep us supplied on an ‘as need’ basis.  Now, we are challenged to keep up with the harvest.  Easy…the extras will go into the freezer.




Green peppers are so simple to freeze; clean (wash and remove seeds and stem end), dice, place in freezer bags and store in the freezer.  When needed, pour out the amount required; then, return the bag back into the freezer for the next time.  As I mentioned, simple!



The banana peppers are a bit more challenging.



This is the first year we ever grew banana peppers.  They are producing well.  But, how do we use them, how do we preserve them? I am in a bit of a dilemma.




I think I am going to attempt a preserving experiment.  I am going to try to slice/dice the peppers (with Glenn’s help because I am afraid that my hands may get that burning sensation resulting from touching raw hot peppers - been there , done that years before with Jalapenos - not a pleasant sensation), minimally cook them in a vinegar pickling syrup, then….freeze them instead of the recommended canning.



This technique works with pickled beets, but banana peppers…



I will keep you posted.  Until then, enjoy the amazing colors of the harvest!




No comments:

Post a Comment