summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Faithful Barn Swallows


Spring is the season of nature’s birth…birds included.  But first, nesting is priority.



Last fall, I discovered many vacated barn swallow nests adorning the ceiling of the livestock shed at the ‘55’ farm.  The nests were beautiful and truly amazing architectural delights.


nest completely constructed on the electric wire - simply amazing!


Today, I took a peek to see if the swallows had returned.  They had.  I watched as the sleek birds speedily flew in and out of the shed, landing near their nests from time to time.





On careful observation, I noticed that the swallows were reusing last year’s nests; some exhibiting strands of straw recently added to the inside of the previous year’s dried mud bowls.




There are no babies yet (no little heads popping above the nest edges nor any frantic cheeping) but I will keep checking on my irregular visits.



I am quite a fan of those colorful and swift barn swallows.  During haying, these swallows would always follow me on my open-air tractor grabbing up insects that were dislodged by the movement of the implement.  Going back and forth over the hayfields, raking the dried grass; I would enjoy the artful diving and swerving of the swallows all around me.



Even though we no longer put up hay, I am happy to appreciate the barn swallows in a different manner.


No comments:

Post a Comment