summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, May 21, 2012

Sweet Cherry Time

Cherry picking time is here; well, here and near to be perfectly accurate.



Even though my two cherry trees are still quite immature, I am getting a larger cherry crop with each passing year. 





The sweet cherries are turning red first, before the sour/pie variety.  I have to admit that I am getting a bit nervous…as I eye the ripening cherries; I know the birds are eyeing them, too!



The cherries do not ripen at once.  I can see deep red, bright red, pale red, pinkish, and translucent yellow fruits all within the same cluster. The deep red cherries are calling my name.


Deep red cherries?  I ate them!


So, to make sure that I get my fair share; each time I pass the sweet cherry tree I look for the ripest cherry that I can reach, pluck it off the tree, and put it into my mouth.




I slowly chew, relishing every bit of flavor. I spit out the pit.  And, I go along my merry way until my next pass when I repeat the process.  I frequently walk past that cherry tree when those sweet cherries are ripening.



This is my little secret. 



Mine and the birds, that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment