summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Reconnecting With A School Chum


My friend from junior high/high school came for a quick visit. Maryann is still the tall, slender, dark-haired, attractive girl I fondly remembered. Oh, and I cannot forget to mention...as nice and thoughtful as ever!

The many years since our last meeting melted away and I felt we were back in Mr. Zeglin’s 7th grade home room and English class.    I think we both felt like we were back in those days of our youth, rather than the few years short of 60 (our birthdays are only two days apart - Maryann is younger than me by a mere two days).

When Maryann’s final trip plans included a visit to our farm, I warned her that she would be the subject of one of my blogs.  Maryann was OK with that just as long as I spelled her name correctly….S-O-P-H-I-A   L-O-R-E-N.  I knew then that the years did not change Maryann one iota.  I anticipated her visit with excitement.



Maryann and her husband, Ted, were perfect guests; gracious and considerate.  We talked of old times, naturally, and about our current lives. I was proud to be able to introduce her to our lives on the farm; a rather big jump from my growing up in a suburb of Chicago.  Maryann’s fascinating way with words provided interesting stories of her city life including volunteer time at one of the nation’s premier zoos - Brookfield Zoo.  Jack Hanna, as a guest speaker, once warned her to steer clear of an eagle he was exhibiting.  Eyeing the sharp beak and sharper talons, Maryann immediately realized that she did not have to be told twice.  The visual of her hands transforming into claws were worth those unsaid thousand words.

35 years of marriage, two wonderful children, a satisfying job, and a life of happiness...what better to ascertain about a dear 'old' friend!

Old friendships…some are definitely worth rekindling; and, this one certainly is. 


Late night feeding...putting Maryann to work!
 
 
I look forward to a repeat visit…soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment