summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Unbluebird


As I was roaming about the garden looking for near ideal locations to place my plants that I recently purchased, I noticed a small bird’s head sticking out of the bluebird nesting box.  It was NOT a bluebird.




Somehow, a tree swallow commandeered the bluebird box closest to the house.  That particular box, and the one previous (before it disintegrated over time), has been home to many Eastern Bluebird families since placing a box in that location 23 years ago.  What gives?



I am not saying the bluebird has any more rights than the swallow, but they certainly should have seniority.  Don’t you think?




In fact, while watching the tree swallows fly in and out of the box, a male bluebird landed on the roof of the box.  The head of the tree swallow immediately disappeared within the box; an obvious move indicating that the swallow did not want any confrontation.  Besides, the male swallow is smaller than the male bluebird.  He was no dummy.

male tree swallow flying back into the nesting box - I was unable to get him flying out as he was too speedy for me


In the end, the bluebird flew off leaving a very happy tree swallow couple.


female tree swallow returning to home

As for me, the tree swallow is pretty; but, I favor the bluebirds.  Maybe next year the bluebirds will take possession back!


No comments:

Post a Comment