summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Summer Has Arrived

The unofficial start of summer has begun; complete with hot air temperatures and humidity.



The sun shines brightly much earlier in the day; many days ending with a welcomed thunder storm to cool and give much needed moisture relief to the growing plants. My perennial gardens have not looked so exquisite in several years; the necessary parameters are working together and I am reaping the benefits of magnificence.




Along with the hotter temperatures, come the butterflies.





Little white cabbage butterflies are everywhere.  No matter in what direction I look, I can always see five, seven or more. 



Occasionally, I catch a fleeting glimpse of a yellow or black swallowtail.  The season is young.   I will see many more Lepidoptera as the days tick into real summer.  I can hardly wait!




Today, I spotted a small orange beauty gliding among the tall grasses of the pasture; moving from flower to flower in a split moment of time.  I followed the butterfly as it moved; it’s time to gather nectar was rapid. 



I, on the other hand, use this season to slow down to a crawl; I am not active in heat or humidity.  I garden and take care of my chores in the cool of the morning or evening; and relax with a good book, write, sew or catnap during the heat of the day.  The inside of the house stays cool, even without air-conditioning; besides, the gentle breeze entering through screened windows is much more satisfying  heavy with sweet scents and sounds of nature.



Indeed, summer has arrived.


No comments:

Post a Comment