summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Unwanted Visitor


I was sitting in my favorite spot (in the recliner, in the living room, next to the window overlooking our farm) reading a Gladys Taber book when I glanced out the glass door which gives me a view of the back deck.



I did not have my glasses on (never do when I read); but, I noticed something odd with my blurred vision.  I put on my glasses and looked again.  And again, I was not quite sure.  So, I got up out of the comfy recliner and stepped over to the door.  OMG…Cricket was sleeping on top of a short cardboard box which was on top of the dog house; and, just inches away, a huge black snake was attached to the bricks making up the exterior wall.

check out the brick wall - snake's head on the left, snake's tail on the right, and mid-section ?...
Cricket is that grey fur ball on the bottom left - peacefully sleeping.


I could substantiate two feet of the head section, and two feet of the tail section; but, the mid-section looped down below the dog house.  How far?  Not sure.  I was not about to get the near the snake to verify.



Cricket continued to nap, wiggling her bushy tail from time to time which seemed to interest said snake as the snake’s head turned from looking up to looking directly at the cat. 



I monitored the situation from time to time.



Cricket had moved to the front porch and the snake had moved, too.  But, where did the snake go?



I am still looking ahead of every one of my steps.  I do not want to find it underfoot; especially, my foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment