summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Riding Along South River

 If I had a choice to travel down South River Road or another road, I would invariably choose the South River Road option.



Why?



I like to watch for herons.  Observing just one heron during a drive makes for a good day.



The road follows, give or take, the South River.  The river flows over a bed of rounded rocks; sometimes in full view, and at times, totally hidden by the dense foliage of woods and lush river vegetation.



Today, via motorcycle, Glenn took the South River route.  A favorite motorcycle choice for me because the road is fairly level with gentle curves which keeps my motion sickness to a thought. Glenn on the other hand likes sharp curvy roads; so, this choice was a rare one for him.



The minute we turned onto the river road from the Tye River Turnpike, I started looking for herons in earnest.  I saw my heron.  The Great Blue was wading in the river, slowly moving its long legs through the water, stalking fish.  No camera, no stopping.  But, my eyes took in the entire scene and immediately placed the image into my mind’s album.  Within a short distance, heron number two; again, wading.  The day suddenly became a great day.  A third wading heron came into view.  I was ecstatic.  Then, heron four  flying above the water just below the tree line, following the course of the river; so deliberate in wing movement, so graceful and gliding; personification of peace.


Great Blue Heron - photo from a previous sighting


A perfect  culmination to a perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment