summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, May 3, 2013

A Special Sighting


Some days are good and some days are special.  Yesterday was one of those extra special days.

I looked out the living room window which is a frequent past time for me.  I never get enough of the view.  And, I never know what I might see.

 Yesterday, I saw a fairly large bird sitting in a tree below the house. 

Initially, I took a few photos from within the house.  Taking a photo through the window results in a less than clear photo (a window washing is in order), but an unclear photo is better than no photo. 
 






 
My next move was to try to sneak outside to the back deck.  The photos are more detailed and clear, but I take the chance that my subject may be spooked and leave…birds - fly, deer - bounce, fox - run..away.  Yet, I have to take that risk.

 
 

Yesterday, that move paid off.  I took some exceptional photos of a huge bird.

 



My next step was to get the bird identification book to identify that bird.  I started under hawks, but I could not find a match. 

 



Glenn came to my rescue.  He had an idea what species of bird was sitting in our tree, and he was right.  Our special guest was an Osprey.  The Osprey was gorgeous!

 
Look at her claws!


Ospreys like to eat fish.  I can only hope that this bird had visited our pond to have a meal.  I do not like the fish in our pond. 

 
This spring has yielded many species of birds that I have never had the opportunity to observe.

 



The ‘extra special’ rating warranted.

No comments:

Post a Comment