summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Unbelievable But True


 
The other day when I caught my first glimpse of that juvenile robin (see May 16, 2013 blog, Bird Bonus), my first thought was oriole because the breast was orangey. I was wrong. I do need to get my eyes checked soon, but I guess I was really wishful thinking for an oriole.

This morning, within minutes of rising, I was at the kitchen sink washing my hands.  This time I did see a blaze of orange land in the full foliage of the flowering dogwood tree located within feet of the window. Yes, an oriole. Definitely!  I rushed for my camera (you know the drill), but within the seconds it took me to retrieve, the bird was gone.

 

I remained at the window hoping beyond hope. I was rewarded. That oriole returned and lighted on the tip of the tallest branch. I had a tremendously better view.  It was as if he was saying, “I came back just for you to take a photo, but you better be quick.”

 


I got two shots off and was zooming in for a third when Mr. Baltimore took off.  I was quite satisfied.  And…

 
so very lucky!

 

Boasting blooms today…

 
















I tried to wait until the sun came out, but it never did. So, many blooms sport raindrops. Today is our fourth day in a row which we have received rain. And, rain is in the forecast for at least another week.  Rarely, do we get a spring with so much precipitation.  The result is that my gardens are full, lush, almost jungle-like.  I get to see my perennials at their full potential.  I also get to weed double-duty when the sun eventually returns.


 

The colors, the blossoms, the scents…all worth having extra weeds.
 
P.S. I included a few wildflowers...can you identify them?

No comments:

Post a Comment