summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Real May Has Arrived


Today was the first day of the month that actually felt like May.

 

Stepping out early this morning onto the back deck, I knew the day was promising to be seasonal. The morning sun was already warm.

 





 


I started the day with a walk through the woods.  Even Jake had a spring to his normally slow step.

On my return, I took a quick walkabout the garden.  To my surprise, many flowers had begun to bloom.  They, too, realized the weather was now in their favor.

 












 


After mowing the lawn, I decided to enjoy the rest of the afternoon laying out on a blanket in the wavering shade of my smallest maple tree.  A few of the sun’s rays broke through to my face as the leaves waved in the breeze.






 



I brought out my current read. But after only a few pages, I decided that I just wanted to relax and try to empty my mind.  I rolled to my back and looked up at the sky.  There was not one cloud in the muted blue sky.  A sliver of moon was faint.  Many planes flew overhead.  They were too high up to hear, but noticeable - especially the ones tracking a contrail.  I was amazed at the number of planes that flew over in ten minutes time.  I lost count, but the number was close to twenty.

 
 

 

Not far from my repose were the dogs.  I call myself a hermit, but in reality, I am never alone.  My dogs are always with me on my outside adventures, chores, or relaxation.  I never call them.  They just appear.  Jake rested as I rested.  Buddy, though stretched out on the ground, was wide awake, eyes to the sky.  He never gave up his watch for birds overhead.

 



I thought about the lives of my dogs.  They get to enjoy nature all the time - how lucky for them.  They also rest when they want; they take a walk when they want. 

 I am going to be taking advantage of this ‘dog’s life’ more frequently.  Eyes closed, warm breeze blowing across my cheeks, scents of nearby flowers, birds singing and mind near empty of thought.  Perfect!

 Except next time, I need to find a better place to plop.  I was on a slight incline and, unbeknownst to me, I was slowly inching my way down off the blanket ending up with my feet under the pasture fence.  As I turned to scoot back up to center myself on the blanket, I did look in a different direction.  Guess what?  There was a cloud in the sky...actually, several.




And, there will definitely be a ‘tick check’ tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment